Saturday, September 20, 2008

Obama Sign Update

The County of Marin contacted me yesterday and very nicely let me know that, unfortunately, there were complaints about the sign. It appears that it needs to be completely on private property and not in the public right of way (sorry!). The county employee sent out to remove it brought along his camera and photographed it instead (because he liked it!) and then kindly allowed me to take it down myself by the end of the day and I did.

I completely understand the County has a job to do and rules to enforce so I have no problem with the county. It is the complaints that astounded me. I asked if people thought the sign posed a hazard (I was very careful to place it further off the road then any other sign) or if it blocked other signs (It did not, I was careful about that as well.) This was the nature of the complaints:

"The sign is confusing."

Wow! OK, so, like, you've got the kids all loaded into the SUV for a fun day at the seashore and you come down the hill into Olema and - "Oh no! This isn't the town of Olema. We're in Obama! Darn, where did our on-board navigation system steer us wrong?! Oh well kids, we gotta turn around and go home because Olema isn't here."

Who knew it was this easy to confuse people.

1 comment:

You Mon Tsang said...

Confuse = Disagree. It was fun while it lasted!